Facebook keeps squashing some very specific personal privacies. A feature to recognize faces might be great on a personal desktop application like iPhoto, but not on a web app. This could mean that they are trying harder and harder to be the new CIA – data mining for personal data. This goes as far as forcing people to tag others’ photos without their consent. I know for a fact people try to untag themselves from photographs; why force them to be tagged? Information wants to be free, but only when you let it be: not forced.
The official spelling of Ukraine’s capital is Kyiv. Wikipedians don’t seem to get that at all. Perhaps they are only misinformed (malinformed) by the remaining imperialists.
Here are some good arguments:
- Ukrainian government insists on Kyiv spelling
- The State Department of the U.S. issued a directive to write Kyiv
- The Prime Minister of the U.K. calls the city Kyiv and the British Ambassador to Ukrainesupports Kyiv spelling too
- United Nations in its Multilingual Terminology Database (the ultimate body on geographical names) approved it as Kyiv and put it as Kyiv on their map
- Major English speaking governments worldwide switched to Kyiv spelling
- CIA refers to the city as Kyiv
- The name of the famous football club is Dynamo Kyiv
- Many papers, e.g., British The Guardian, are already writing Kyiv
- All major Canadian media already use the spelling of Kyiv
- It is Kyiv on Google and MSN
So what are you waiting for? You don’t need to be afraid of Kyiv! It’s a beautiful city, and it only sounds right with Kyiv.
While trying to update my iPhone to iOS 4, I was disappointed with the selection of boot logos on the internet that I came up wit the following two (somewhat Ukrainian theme) on my own:
Both of them are PNG files to suit the system requirements. I acquired them through some digging around on Google Image Search.
The second illustration is meant to replace an error screen. The author is unknown.